KURT W. PORTER, SHAREHOLDER
Kurt W. Porter is an attorney and partner with Severson Porter Law. Admitted to the Minnesota Bar in 2010, he focuses his practice on Real Estate, Business Law and Civil Litigation. Kurt is a Certified Real Estate Specialist; fewer than 3% of all registered attorneys in the State of Minnesota are certified specialists in their respective fields. He is a regular presenter for Minnesota CLE on issues related to real estate law, most recently focusing on the developing law relating to short term rentals. Kurt frequently provides pro bono services on matters concerning real estate law.
Kurt obtained his Bachelors of Science degree in mathematics, with minor degrees in statistics and English from the University of North Dakota. Thereafter, Kurt attended law school at the University of North Dakota School of Law where he earned his Juris Doctorate with distinction. After law school, Kurt worked as a law clerk for the Honorable Erik J. Askegaard, District Court Judge for the Ninth Judicial District.
Kurt serves on various organizations in the Brainerd Lakes Area including Lakes Area Restorative Justice Project, Coordinating Council for domestic violence, and presently serves as the Secretary-Treasurer for the Crow Wing County / Aitkin County Bar Association and as Church Council Vice-President for Lord of Life Lutheran Church. Additionally, for the past five years, Kurt has enjoyed volunteering as a mock trial judge with MSBA High School Mock Trial.
In 2022, Kurt was awarded the Minnesota Justice Foundation’s Outstanding Service Award for his private practice pro bono work with Legal Aid Services of Northeastern Minnesota.
Kurt is married to his loving, very understanding and patient wife, Kate. They have three kids and a puppy, all of whom are equally capable of getting into trouble.
- United States District Court, District of Minnesota
- Minnesota State Courts
- Outstanding Service Award Private Practitioner, Minnesota Justice Foundation, 2022
- MSBA Board Certified Real Property Specialist
- 2022 Real Estate Institute, Short-Term Rentals – 5 Potential Problems and Their Solutions, Minnesota CLE Faculty
- 2021 Survey of Short-Term Rentals and the Present State of Regulations and Enforcement in Minnesota, Minnesota CLE Faculty
- 2020 Great Outdoors: Cabin Law, “The Ins and Outs of AirBnB and Cabin Rentals.”, Minnesota CLE Faculty
- 2019 How to Navigate Real Estate Issues Between Neighbors, riparian rights or property owners, Minnesota CLE Faculty
- Minnesota Bar Association
- Crow Wing County / Aitkin County Bar Association–Secretary / Treasurer
- Brainerd Jaycees